Juvenile In Justice
Learn about the juvenile justice system.
The Urgent Need for Justice Reform in America
Learn about the justice system— inside and out.
A Freedom Rider Remembers
Experience the Civil Rights Movement through a first-hand account.
The Life and Work of Andrew Wyeth
Find out what it’s like to grow up in the “first family of American art.”
The Lasting Impact of Child Maltreatment
How does chlildhood abuse impact life as an adult?
Linda Patterson Miller
Writers of the Lost Generation
How did the relationships of America’s great writers affect their work?
The Sex-Wise Parent
The way you talk with your children about sex could save them from serious harm.
The “T” Community
Gain a better understanding of what it means to be a transgender person.
America’s Role in the World
Learn about the relationship between foreign policy and nuclear weapons.
Discover what’s being done to stop the spread of infectious diseases.
- 13 Indigenous Grandmothers
- Activism/Civil Rights Movement
- American Indian Identity
- Art & Design, Publishing
- Art, Caregiving
- Art, Filmmaking
- Black Middle Class
- Child Abuse
- Chinese Culture
- Climate Change
Under what circumstances, if any, should youth be tried as adults?
ABOUT THE EPISODE
Photographer and Researcher Richard Ross takes us inside the juvenile incarceration system as he discusses his latest work, Juvenile In Justice.
For a captioned version of this interview, go to YouTube.
ABOUT THE GUEST
Richard Ross is a photographer, researcher, and professor of art based at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
Ross’s most recent work, Juvenile In Justice, turns a lens on the placement and treatment of American juveniles housed by law in facilities that treat, confine, punish, assist and, occasionally, harm them. His other works include Architecture of Authority (Aperture 2007), Waiting for the End of the World (Princeton Architectural Press 2005), Gathering Light (University of New Mexico 2001) and Museology (Aperture 1988), among others.
Ross has photographed extensively for the Canadian Center for Architecture, Nike, New York Times, and Vogue, among others.
More About Richard Ross
- Juvenile in Justice photo project captures kids behind bars
- Juvenile In Justice
- WIRED: Uncompromising Photos Expose Juvenile Detention in Americ
Slideshow of Ross Photos
- Watch the Slideshow (Photos used with permission of the author; for more, visit: http://richardross.net)
More About the Juvenile Justice System
- Frontline: Juvenile Justice
- Brookings Institution: Juvenile Justice
- National Center for Juvenile Justice
- You’re an Adult Now: Youth in Adult Criminal Justice Systems (PDF)
- Trying Juveniles as Adults: An Analysis of State Transfer Laws and Reporting (PDF)
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service
Buy Books and Support WPSU
PENN STATE CONNECTION
- Internationally renowned photographer Richard Ross to visit Penn State
- School of the Visual Arts in the College of Art and Architecture
- The Prevention Research Center, College of Health and Human Development
- The EPIS Center, College of Health and Human Development
- The Justice Center for Research
- The Child Study Center
- Department of Psychology in the College of the Liberal Arts
- Center for Immigrants Rights
- Center on Children and the Law in the School of Law
WHERE TO WATCH
Thursday, November 1 at 8pm
ABOUT THE HOST
Veteran interviewer Patty Satalia hosts in-depth conversations with a broad range of remarkable people.